The bridge is named after Pero, also known as Pero Jones, who lived from around 1753 to 1798, arriving in Bristol from the Caribbean Island of Nevis in 1783, as the slave of the merchant John Pinney (1740-1818) at 7 Great George Street. History. The bridge was designed by the Irish artist Eilis O’Connell, in conjunction with Ove Arup & Partners engineers. It was formally opened in 1999.
Pero’s Bridge is a footbridge across the River Frome which was opened in the docks of Bristol, 1999. The footbridge is named after an African slave who had been purchased by plantation owner, John Pinney who named him Pero Jones.